Our family's heart is filled with the hope of our calling in Christ Jesus and we want to share! Our home town and now Hope Clinic is where we are called. We want to share our adventure with you!

Sunday, July 6, 2014

May 14
The past few days have seen several of us suffering from illness. Rachel with a severe head cold (seems odd in Africa, huh? Guess those bugs are here, too!) others from gastrointestinal distress (read: running to the toilet quite frequently  ) and Krae from high fever, stomach pain, headache, vomiting…we all spent a few days lying low, off and on. We were watching Krae for malaria, but he has made a full recovery. My mother-in-law (Diane Mathisen) was having her friends pray for Krae, and I saw a post she made where she noted the time difference (Africa is 7 hours AHEAD of the Pacific time zone) and said Krae was probably beginning his recovery even before they started praying, and that God is not limited by time zones. She wrote that ultimately it's not the power of our prayers in and of themselves but the power of the One to whom we pray, and our obedience in asking for His help! So true! Thanks Diane Mathisen for the good reminder. It made me think of how frustrating it is to be here with such limited French. As the Guineans say, they speak "English small, small!!, I speak "French small, small!!" As I walk by the multitude of patients lining the concrete benches along the outdoor halls of the clinic and say "Bon jour, and how are you? I am well, tres bien, etc" but that is about the extent! I make the little babies cry most of the time; they are frightened, I think, by the crazy white lady who probably wants to steal them from their mamas or grandmamas! I wish I could speak to them fluently and tell them I love them, that Jesus loves them, and learn more about them! But Diane's reminder made me remember that God is not limited by time zones, NOR is He limited by language. He called me to be here and show His love by my actions, and to keep my mouth shut! Otherwise he would've miraculously had me learn fluent French in the past 6 months of my trying!! Just as in America, I sometimes allow my words to become unnecessary or judgmental. Oftentimes it is better to keep my mouth shut and just simply show love. God can do the rest without my "trying to help"! The people here are genuinely happy just to be spoken to with kindness, touched even though they made be dirty and diseased, and smiled at or to have their toddler toes tickled (although that often scares them too!!). The miracles are not just in the surgeries, the medications, the donated equipment; they are there for sure. But the miracles are also the simple act of OUR obedience to be present here, having the financial and prayerful support of all of YOU, and patiently waiting for Him to show us BOTH what He has for us next! God works in what we consider to be BIG ways, but He also works in what we consider to be SMALL ways. He is not bound by our limited understanding of His will. I am grateful for that! And Im grateful and humbled to be here. I want to remember all this when I return to America, because people in America need the same smiles, touches, and acceptance as the people in Africa! I ask you all to hold me accountable when I return! Thanks to you all for your prayers and encouragement. I love every comment! Now, to HIM who is able to do abundantly more that we could ever imagine….goes all the glory, honor, and praise!!

No comments:

Post a Comment