Our family's heart is filled with the hope of our calling in Christ Jesus and we want to share! Our home town and now Hope Clinic is where we are called. We want to share our adventure with you!

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

And The Lame Could Walk and the Blind Could See

Three hours into a four hour hysterectomy, Jackie, the Head Nurse on the Inpatient Ward, poked her head in the OR and asked my permission for the young girl with the arm amputation and shattered pelvis, to take a walk. Of course, I thought she was joking, for this girl hadn't walked for 8 wks, and her X-rays certainly appeared as though ambulating was only a dream. Jackie chuckled, and then explained that this girl was actually walking along the sidewalk, visiting with the other patients. I slowly stopped, laid down my pickups and scissors, and said in French, "You say What?!". All four guys in the OR were flabbergasted, and then we all noticed, there wasn't a dry eye amongst us. I had just Emailed the Mercy Ships Organization last night, and their Ortho guy is ill, and wasn't able to operate. There are no ortho folks with reliable skills in the whole country. I went to sleep last night a little discouraged for this young lady. I awoke at 5 am and was convicted to get out of bed and pray for this girl, that God would heal her and allow her pelvis to mend, allowing her to walk again. I was unaware that many others had been praying the identical prayer! All drama aside, this is only explained by God's miraculous power. You ask, why does it take four hours for me to do a hysterectomy? Well, this patient had an 8 pound uterus that was stuck to many other essential organs, and grossly distorted by benign fibroid masses. As four women came into the Recovery Room to see their friend, Jairus came out of the OR, holding her grotesquely deformed uterus for them to observe. They immediately began to sing and dance and grabbed me and hugged me and kissed me several more times than is necessary after slaying a uterus. They then explained that this women had been to 4 different hospitals, and had multiple operations to remove the uterus, but on each occasion, they closed the abdomen, stating that hysterectomy was impossible. She had been bleeding rather uncontrollably for years, and was lightheaded and dizzy all of the time. I then asked them to show me the basic moves of their dance, and joined them until we were all laughing too hard to breathe. We were able to do 2 other small cases as well, and see a few consults in between. Tomorrow, we have hernias, ortho cases, a little plastic surgery, and of course, more wound debridements! I was invited to the village, to Jairus' home, for dinner, which was excellent, after working all day. It was well over 90 today, and the humidity is now up to 65%, which should promise a big rain quite soon. I'm fairly certain that I'm sweating at the same rate at which I'm guzzling fluids. Thank the Lord for the air conditioner in the OR! I'm thinking about sneaking up there tonight and sleeping there! Thank all of you faithful blogheads for sticking with me. Off to bed I go-- I need some rest if I'm gonna keep observing miracles all of the time! Jeff

16 comments:

  1. I'm imagining you now sleeping on a gurney in the OR with the air conditioning turned on full blast. Then I recalled the verses in Ps. 121 that say..."He who watches over you will not slumber...He will neither slumber nor sleep." So you can rest sweetly and sleep soundly knowing that God's healing hands are always busy, even through the night. Praising the Lord for the joy He gives these needy ones inspite of their pain and suffering. "My hope is in the Lord." Now, it's about that singing, dancing, and kissing in the OR all because of an 8# distorted uterus! I'm assuming that is another "First" for you, and it's not something you have ever done before in the U.S. Did someone take a video of that? :) Continuing to pray for healing for the patients, and peace for you and the staff as you work together the next two days. Love you much! Mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The fan in my room proved to be more than adequate to allow a good night's sleep, and saved the clinic a lot of money to keep the air off overnight! I have never done the Uterus Dance, and will probably choose to reserve that for my next trip to Guinea-- and thankfully, NO VIDEO was taken! I'm awake with renewed energy, and excitement for what God will do through our crew and the Staff here at Hope. Thank you for your faithful prayers and reminders of God's blessings and power! Love , Jeff

      Delete
  2. praise Him holy Name! See what happens when we pray believing in faith. Love this story. Jenn told me it was amazing and she was right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure who I'm replying to, but thank you for celebrating God's miraculous works with me and the Hope Clinic Staff! Prayer is our most powerful weapon against disease, injury, despair, and Satan himself. Thanks for blogging. God Bless, Jeff

      Delete
  3. Oh my friend, the awesomeness of God just continues to poor through your experience in Guinea. Totally amazing story about the little pelvicly destroy walking girl. That is such a answer to prayer. I prayed for her multiple times yesterday. I am so glad that God knows who I am talking about when I say 15 year old girl in Guinea. I love it that he already knows what I am thinking before I pray it. GOD ROCKS!!!

    You rock to by the way, you had the courage to go and do God's work, and he is blessing you by guiding your hands in surgery.

    By the way, how much is a uterus spose to way?? less then a pound I would guess, and you pulled out a bowling ball...awesome. Can't wait for you to teach me that dance when you get back, over Mt. Dews and laughs.

    Sleep well my friend, I am off to dinner at home, then hoops tonight. I love hoops

    Ryan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm fairly certain I have seen you perform a derivation of the Uterus Dance in the past! That stuff seems to flow from your hips-- with or without caffeine! OK, enough about your hips... The girl's name is Fatou, and she truly is a beautiful girl, inside and out. Many are witnessing to her and her family. I'm unaware of the normal weight of the average uterus, and proud I don't have that fact cluttering my brain! Hope hoops went well, and you were injury free. All we have to do is be willing to go, God takes care of the itinerary, and the miracles! Later my friend, Matty

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. healing, hope, peace! Thx for your beautiful summary! Love , Matty

      Delete
  5. Thank you, thank you, thank you for going and sharing! You and your patients are on my mind constantly...so I'm going to keep praying! I didn't know how to respond after reading yesterday...and today leaves me even more speechless! Thank you so much for sharing these amazing stories of God's miracles!
    Love to you and prayers for some good sleep!
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I finally understood that Fatou was really walking, I literally couldn't speak. Jon Erikson awoke me from my daze, and said, "Don't be surprised, miracles happen here at Hope all of the time." Let's just say, that uterus didn't have a chance after the reception of that news!! Obviously, I have always underestimated the power of my own prayers, but the results of the collective prayers of many, supersedes anything of which I could ever dream. Love ya all, Jeff

      Delete
  6. You have experienced a joy in His provision in a context that allowed a clear view that could only be revealed to you in that setting. That's the personal value of "going"!
    May God continue to use you as He shows you more of Himself.
    Prayers,
    Fred

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that we all could find time to go and lay aside our busy schedules! I hope to define "going" as a lifestyle, and not a one time event ! Thx, Fred!

      Delete
  7. God's Grace and Love still amazes me! And His mercies are new every morning!
    Jeff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Jill! Just suddenly awoke at 3 am and saw your note. Great is thy faithfulness, Oh Lord! What a privilege to serve him!

      Delete
  8. Jeff you can add me to the list of those crying tears of joy and dancing all at the same time! We were just saying in small group on Tuesday how we don't see God working miracles like He did in the NT and here you are testifying to them!!! Praise and Glory be to the Lord Almighty! He is able to do far more than we can imagine!!
    Anga

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What you have said, rings so true. I'm convinced that I haven't "seen" miracles because I wasn't willing to be his instrument, wallowing in my own busyness, and what I thought was where God wanted me to serve. I'm having trouble seeing all of His mighty works here because they are occurring so often! ... In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will direct your paths... Matty

      Delete