Our family's heart is filled with the hope of our calling in Christ Jesus and we want to share! Our home town and now Hope Clinic is where we are called. We want to share our adventure with you!

Friday, February 10, 2012

A Quiet Day at Hope

It was a peaceful day at Hope today as the dust slowly moves on and the sun returns with the heat as well. But still no no rain as yet... Folks here can't remember such a long period of time without rain. I have nothing to compare the weather to except I know it is a lot colder in The Dalles! Fridays are clinic days here, thus the OR is quiet, which is good for the staff after a long but productive week. I told the crew I am praying for a relaxing weekend for them, as we have many people to help next week. We may actually fill all of the inpatient beds depending on the ability to get others home. All postoperative pts are doing well and are very grateful. I explained to Modey today that I have 4 sons at home and that they, my wife, and all of my family and friends are earnestly praying for his recovery. Tears flowed down his face as he softly choked out a heartfelt "Thank-You". He was very worried this am that I would have to operate on him later to take out the plate we had placed to repair his leg. Once I explained that the plate would remain indefinitely to aid him with his recovery, his eyes lit up and his smile returned. God continues to soften his heart and strengthen his broken body. His spirit is beginning to regenerate and his will to succeed is evident as he works diligently to strengthen the leg that was partially amputated so that he might have the opportunity to be fit with a prosthesis and walk again. Secretly, I am grateful for a shorter day as it has been a long but profitable week. Sleep has been scarce as I share my bed with several orthopedic texts in order to be prepared for the tasks at hand. Tonight my goal is to make it to bed early, as I have plans to arise at 5:30am to Skype my family. I don't understand the technology behind Skypeing, but it has taken the sting out of being away from my family. Who knew you could communicate so freely from the jungles of Africa?! The staff here is insisting that I stop working this weekend and go to N'Zerekore, the big town nearby, and experience the market, the food, the smells, and Guinea at its finest. I look forward to worshipping again at the church in the village and listening to the children's choir. Thank you to all who blog often! You are strength for me when I have none to give. Jeff

16 comments:

  1. Oh my...I told Scott this morning that I want to leave for Guinea tomorrow...I am pretty sure there's nothing I could do but just walk around and cry though :) Praying lots for you, patients, families, and staff. Love the pictures! Love you!
    -Jill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You guys would have a blast here. Scott would be in heaven figuring out how to enhance the physical plant and your smile and gentle touch would bring healing for the soul. You could come with me and learn how to scrub! I know you just love that stuff! Hello to your family. We should get together again soon. Love, Jeff

      Delete
  2. I did do a pretty good job not passing out with that one out-patient lip job! And Grace is obsessed with bandaids! She just got done applying about 13 of them to various parts of her arms and forehead! You are right, Scott would totally love it! I just got done looking at Con's bball pic from his fb page...we need to get up there to see a game soon! Are you the photographer of the pics posted? If so, keep taking them! What treasures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's all a state of mind really, just would take some conditioning. Dad and Mom are traveling today to watch Con play tonight. I think he will have a couple of games left after I return home. It would be fun, we could finish a case and then Grace could come in and plaster the pt with Sponge Bob band-aids! Jen got me an "idiot proof" camera, so that's why the pics are so nice. Have a good weekend. Jeff

      Delete
  3. I was going to comment on your sleeping with techs, but then I realized it was Texts and so I won't comment.

    Enjoy your weekend. See some of the sights of Guinea. Figure out how we can do some optometry work over there, and lets "get er done".

    Miss you bro

    Ryan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Incredible restraint my friend! Your silence speaks volumes... I'm bushed in the bush! Headed to bed now. Until tomorrow... matty

      Delete
  4. Thankful today, the dust is gone, sun shining and day is quiet at Hope. Patients, staff, and surgeon need a little rest...God gives us what we need. We are praying for Modey's healing and our S.S. classes, choir,and friends are also praying for his soul. Enjoy your weekend break and be refreshed. It's been cloudy/drizzle with highs about 50 here for about 3 days. We are headed to The Dalles this afternoon and look forward to seeing Jen and the boys, and of course, the BB game. We will give them great big hugs from you. Love you much! Mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Travel safely and thanks for making the effort to hang with Jen and the boys. Krae has really been acting out a lot, but Jen holds firm and gentle. Maybe some G&G time will be just what he needs. Have fun at the game. Love you both, Jeff

      Delete
  5. Tell Modey I am praying for him as well. Really makes me appreciate the health care we have, to prevent amputations like that. We can only pray God will bless him. Hope you get to the big village and get some rest for your busy week upcoming. Praying for you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Fred, I've decided you are the most computer savvy guy on the LT as you are the only one who has successfully negotiated the world of blogging! I will pass on to Modey your concern and prayers. Hope to get a pic with him this weekend to post on the blog. Thx for your prayers. Hope all is well with you and your family. Jeff

      Delete
    2. I am so far from computer savvy, I have 2 techies that work for me and I am constantly learning new stuff that just gets me by. Just talked to Jen and she mentioned Conner really likes the new Sears washer-go figure. Please keep a mask on, we don't need you catching any airborne parasites, ok?

      Delete
    3. The same is true for me and computers... Thankfully the girls in my office recognize my technological shortcomings and allow me just to focus on patient care! Who knew laundry could be fun for a 16 yr old guy?! I wonder if he's purposely wearing 3 different outfits a day in order to have an excuse to do laundry? After I got out of the truck yesterday, I briefly thought about the wisdom of wearing a mask, but felt peace about this, understanding my willingness to make friendly eye contact and smile genuinely was more important than worrying about personal illness. God has surrounded me thus far with impenetrable immunity and protected me from things of which I'm probably not aware. Thanks for the love! jeff

      Delete
  6. It is Friday night and we read your blog at the dinner table at Tiff's tonight....loved the pictures and the story of Modey. Brought tears to our eyes. The girls and Ryan are at the Daddy Daughter Dance swishin their dresses and dads tush to the music.
    Jen updated us girls yesterday on the latest news and I think Ryan even got to see some of OR pics that aren't making it on the blog. We all sure miss you, but we are so excited to hear all about it when you get home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Linds, I'm fairly certain Ryan didn't need another excuse to "swish his booty" around in a public forum! Glad you guys are enjoying the pics. It's 4am here and I awoke suddenly-- not sure why-- maybe cuz Con's playing ball. Say hello to Tiff and kids the next time you see them. They are in my prayers as well. Gonna try to drift back to sleep. Matty

      Delete
  7. Roses in Texas reading and praying for you!! Sounds like you are doing more healing than just the physical kind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Roses! Your prayers are greatly appreciated. I have witnessed healing on a variety of levels here. When I walk down the hallways, into the OR, in and out of patients rooms, there is a sense of peace that I've never experienced before. My contribution is to aid with physical healing, though I have felt God's hand on my hand during times of indecision and helplessness. As patients begin to heal, the staff here wraps there love around them to begin the emotional healing process. What is observed soon thereafter is nothing short of God's grace, as patients begin to ask questions about God, recognizing that they want the joy that is exhibited by the staff at Hope. Gradually, they begin to neglect their Islamic rituals, put away their prayer mats, and learn the great hymns of faith that are openly sung or whistled by every staff member they encounter. Many are saved, some are not, but all leave with an understanding of the one true God. I have been trained to use instruments in the OR arena, but have come to the understanding that God wants me to be his instrument in the human, physical healing process, so that many are softened in their souls to yearn for his spiritual healing. Selfishly, I kinda like walking around the clinic whistling hymns that are recognized by all who work here despite our language preferences. Thanks for your prayers and thoughts. You are all in my prayers as well. Jeff

      Delete