Our family's heart is filled with the hope of our calling in Christ Jesus and we want to share! Our home town and now Hope Clinic is where we are called. We want to share our adventure with you!

Saturday, February 4, 2012

The Internet has been resurrected!

You don't know what you've got til it's gone! The Internet has not been functioning for @24hrs here, which has caused me to remember where in the world I am and how grateful I am to be able to communicate with friends on the other side of the world. It's hard to believe that the end of the first week is coming to a close. We were able to see many new pts yesterday with plans for many surgeries next week. I just finished rounds this am with Dr. Simeon,the medicine physician, which was good for me. I have quickly been learning tropical medicine, and have had to forget about a lot of typical American diseases. I am getting to know my pts well and their families. The young boy who required the amputation is doing well. He has amazing pain tolerance. We continue to make plans for his femur repair this upcoming week. I covet your prayers for the planning process which will be crucial for success. The last couple of nights have been conducive to sleeping with the cool weather. The temps have been in the 60's, which allows me to have a few hrs when I'm not sweating continuously, but causes the folks here to arrive in the am wearing their winter jackets. it has been beautiful and sunny without a drop of rain since my arrival. I've been told that it hasn't rained here for over two months. The staff at the Clinic are incredibly generous with their time and we have had the opportunity to eat in several homes and enjoy the local cuisine. The Albright's have graciously invited me to travel to a nearby village to visit with a young couple who are attempting to start a new church. I'm excited to see a new village and mingle with the people. Sunday should be awesome, with the opportunity to go to church in the village. I'm grateful for the weekend and the rest. I'm also thankful for your prayers and correspondence, which have served as a great encouragement. God bless, Jeff

9 comments:

  1. Hey Mattie
    So great to catch up with you and your work over there. Jill and I have been talking about our desire to work in similar circumstances, being able to bless others with what the Lord has given us. We are proud to call you a friend, being obedient to Him, and using the skills He gave you to bless people on the other side of the world.
    Pretty amazing just being able to talk with Jen about some of the stuff you have seen already, not having some of the access to equipment or pathology to test different things to make certain of a diagnosis. We will be praying for wisdom for you, patience to deal with lack of language and your familiar set of tools, and your continued open heart to love these people with Jesus in your eyes.
    Thanks for keeping us all up to date, we will try to be connecting in other ways soon too.
    God Bless you Jeff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Kamps! Thanks for the words of encouragement. I've been unable to download @ 30 Emails the last day and a half. The Internet server is limping along here. This blognhasnturned out to be a blessing. Please let Jen know that I will try to call her later today and ask her to please keep her phone nearby. Also, please tell my kids I'm fine and will respond to their Emails when I am able.

      It would be great to serve with you and Jill someday. I regret only that I have waited too long to do so. Glad Jen and Jill got some time together-- it will benefit both of them greatly. I'm learning to play cribbage here at nights, but with Alaska rules! Hope that doesn't mean I'll learn the wrong way to play upon my return! God bless, Jeff

      Delete
  2. Jeff! I am so excited to be part of your journey through technology..we have been praying and thinking a lot about you. It has been great to get caught up with Jen the last 24 hours on what is going on. I also wanted to say I am excited and thankful about the skill God has given you to help others. I am sure God is doing amazing things in your heart and the heart of the people there. I will pray for peace and safety,although I remember someone telling me if you are in God's will you are in the safest place..so rest in that. I also am praying for rest, for down town, also for the difference in culture..that you would be able to adapt quickly but yet sensitive to it Also I am thinking about your translator and praying the messages will be clear that are given and received. Anyhow..i could ramble. We miss you. I am so glad Jen is here. Love Jill Kamps (put your Jill filter on if you have any trouble understanding message..haha)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, so this is Jen! I'm the one sending a bazillion emails! You will have a bunch of them to read when you get them all! I haven't been posting on this just cuz I've been doing it on email. I won't try to repeat everything, just know I've been writing you lots of little bits here and there. Hope to hear from you on the phone later (if I understood your note to Kamps right). I feel a great peace (the kind that passes all understanding) that I can count on God to keep you safe. I love you tons (it seems so small to say that when we are so far away but you know how big my love is :) ). Hope to chat soon. L2U-Jen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thx hon for answering me back. Initially I thought the whole blog thing was gonna be kind of hokie, but it has been a Godsend. They have a phone here that I can call from tonight after dinner, as long as your phone will accept international calls. Tell Jill thx for her note, and that I retread it with my Jilter on! I love you too, and am glad you got to get away this weekend. Tell the boys I love em and will try to Email when available or Skype. Will look forward to reading all of your Emails. Mtalk with you soon. Matty

      Delete
  4. Gosh Matty - All of us here at the LeBreton household love and pray for you daily. We are really enjoying the connection that this blog gives. It makes the miles between us seem not so distant or daunting. "Proud", just doesn't begin to say how we feel about you, but "well pleased" is far more fitting. Our Lord and Savior began His good work in your life and is carrying it on to completion everyday that you go where He sends you. We are all so inspired to watch the talents of your hands and feet go to places that our skills don't take us. I pray blessings just keep unfolding while you are there. Take care. Ry-guy will miss you on Super Bowl, but your adventure to the villiage sounds a little more rewarding than sitting around eating Taco Bell, hot wings, and watching the crazy ads.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Lindsay! Say hello to the girls and I guess... Ryan too! I hope you guys have a great time watching the game with family and friends. I will miss the GI distress that I usually experience after eating way too many wings, tacos, etc in the "Man Cave".
      They have never had an "Eye Dr." come to Hope to treat many with visual changes. I am praying and researching that we may be able to carefully and effectively find a way to minister in this way in the future.
      You must know what an encouragement it is to awaken and know my friends are reading and praying along with me. I am learning new ways here to pray continuously. I miss all of you greatly, but know we will see each other soon. God bless, Jeff

      Delete
  5. You are continually in our prayers. It sounds like you have had many answered prayers and God has you there for many purposes. I am sure you will be blessed by the worship at the church you attend. After your orthopedic experience you will be able to branch out here. Let me know what you are eating, if you even know! Many blessings, Fred

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Fred, thanks for your words of encouragement. God is showing me that he is well pleased to expand my "comfort zone "! I believe our ortho guys in town are in no worry of any more competition-- at least from me! Selfishly, I am excited about worshipping here today in song and dancing, regardless of the fact that I can't understand a word that is being said! Enjoy communion and worship today there at Calvary in my place, and tell all you see that they are in my prayers. I hope all is well in your family. God bless, Jeff

      Delete