Our family's heart is filled with the hope of our calling in Christ Jesus and we want to share! Our home town and now Hope Clinic is where we are called. We want to share our adventure with you!

Monday, February 6, 2012

Just Another Manic Monday...

What a fantastic day here at Hope. It was a little cooler (85F) and the clinic was hopping. We were able to see 12 new consults today and do two cases on a non-operating day. I began sending some of my first few pts home today with successful results and having heard about Christ's love despite their Muslim background. Folks here are genuinely grateful for good care and a caring heart. It was hard to see them go as well as their families. As I continue to prepare for Wed's femur repair, I inherited a gentlemen who was struck by a car while riding a moto who broke both of the bones in his lower left leg. He was admitted to the "trauma service" today and hopefully we will be able to address his fractures on Thursday with the decline of some of the swelling. I also saw a women who fell and shattered both bones in her wrist on Christmas day, and decided that since it still hurt, she would come and see if we could help her. I, again, have sent pics of X-rays to my international consultant in The Dalles, and hope he can guide this poor, hapless general surgeon through these two repairs as well. Man, what I would do for a bread and butter general surgery case right now! We did actually do an emergent appendectomy today, which was the first open appy I have done in over 7 yrs. I kept looking around for someone to hand me a laparoscope. Ahhh, the good ole days! The Staff here never ceases to amaze me. They are so flexible as demonstrated by two different translators who were willing to go in two different directions with me as we walked around from office to office to see all of the new pts. The OR crew doesn't normally do cases on Monday, but we're thrilled to drop what they were doing to help. The gal in the lab who was drawing all of the blood samples, covered for the guy in Radiology who was out today, and did all of the X-rays as well, all the while laughing and singing as if she couldn't be happier. God's joy and peace are demonstrated in the middle of chaos and sickness on a minute by minute basis here. Thanks again for all of your kind words and encouragement. You are all greatly appreciated. Jeff

10 comments:

  1. Im here waiting for a skype, guessing your internet is down or at least slow. It seems you are able to publish on the blog but not do other things that take more internet effort, like email and skyping. So sorry to have missed you. All is well here, not much new from last night. Hope to be ale to chat soon. L2U-Jen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Hon, for hangin in there with me today. Glad we got to Skype today. Have a great night chasing the boys all over town. You are the best taxi driver in town! Hope to talk with you again tomorrow. Love Matty

      Delete
  2. Hi, Jeff.... The Thompson family here (from Ohio). We are enjoying so much reading "your African story"... so glad your mom sent us the link, and we are praying for you! You talk of things that make our hearts ache to return there.... drums, singing, uninhibited worship.... and the most AMAZING thing that you have not experienced yet: an African rain storm. There is NOTHING like it!!!!! And how about that sky! Did you ever see such a beautiful sight at night?

    God bless! We'll be visiting you each day!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Thompsons! Great to hear from you, it has been too long. Agreed! The night skies are are unparalleled in beauty. I keep hearing about the rainstorms, and am eager to experience one. This is a wonderful place. Will have to take some pics of the lab and post them on the blog. Say hello to your family for me. God bless, Jeff

      Delete
  3. Wow, what a busy day at Hope! You are working your staff so hard, they will all need a vacation when you leave. The pace you are keeping will certainly make the time there go by quickly. And...are you going to change your specialty to ortho when you get home?:) The double wrist fracture makes me cringe...memories! Did you find any pins/screws in that warehouse to repair bones? Shiver! We are praying for you and your family. Gonna find out if the boys have games Friday night nearby. We would love to see them play soon. Love you, Mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Mom, today was just as hectic, but rewarding. I did find lots of rods, plates, screws,etc., but as of yet, we havent been able to locate the power drill. Please keep that little item in you prayers. The gentlemen with the tib/fib fx decided to leave AMA today to do "village medicine" which saddened all of us, but I expect he will be back soon. I did inherit a young man with a fibular fx today and will try to fix it Thurs, drill pending, of course. We are under a cloud of dust today that has blown down from the Sahara, it's weird, looks cloudy, but tastes like cotton continuously. The dust completely blocked the sun! Have to get a quick shower and go to dinner in the village. Love you guys, Jeff

      Delete
  4. Hey buddy -

    Wow, I can't believe you are getting all these fracture cases. This is crazy. Well if nothing else, you are going to learn alot about fractures and how to treat which is important because when my family has an accident, I will need you to know what to do:)

    They cancelled RET class last night, I guess it was because you werent going to be there...wierd I know:) I really don't know why they cancelled it, but it was good, because I have 2 more meetings after work this week and I know that lindsay appreciate one night off.

    By the way, if you need a fx consultant, I am here for you. I could totally help you out...by finding someone else for you to talk to. Ha ha ha ha . I miss you good buddy. I hope all is well, cant wait to read your blog about Tuesday. Good luck. God Bless. Your in my prayers.

    Ryan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey man, Ortho Doc here! This has been maddening! The staff here are incredulous concerning the volume of ortho pts. God has a great sense of humor-- it's hard enough to just do general surgery! Sorry to hear RET got cancelled, I've missed that group. Thx for the offer to help with fxs-- could use it tomorrow and Thursday! Your prayers will be enough, my friend. It will be fun to catch up once stateside again. Keep it real, and always remember to be that guy! Matty

      Delete
  5. Wow! All this bone stuff gives me the shivers! Noah and Grace were tracing their hands today with crayons on paper and it made me think of how God is using your hands in a mighty way! We said a prayer for you and wrote on their papers, "Lord, use my hands." So proud of you and your willingness to share how God is equipping and using you there. Your daily blog entries have been a blessing in our home in more ways than you'll ever know! Thank you for sharing your heart!
    -Jill
    P.S. Scott thought it was way cool that you thought work opportunity for him there :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Scott would love this place! There are scads of maintenance issues and new projects that need to be done. Things get done a little more slowly here, but the electricity and plumbing are both fairly reliable. God has a great sense of humor! I promised him I would be available to him in any fashion, and I'm pretty sure he's grinning when new ortho consults show up! It's his way of being glorified through our work, so that no one is able to grasp the credit for success. I'm gonna try to get a little more sleep than I have been. Thanks for blogging and hello to Scott and the kids. Love ya all, Jeff

      Delete