Our family's heart is filled with the hope of our calling in Christ Jesus and we want to share! Our home town and now Hope Clinic is where we are called. We want to share our adventure with you!

Sunday, February 12, 2012

We Treat, God Heals...

We were greeted by a beautiful sunrise that burned through the dust for the first time in a week. It is noon now, and the temperatures have already climbed well over ninety degrees. The day started with Rounds, and the Lord continues to bless all of the patients in the healing process. There is a lady here who has been here for the better part of two weeks that arrived very ill, but has been improving slowly. We had talked yesterday about further testing that would need to be done in the nearby city to evaluate her for rare causes of her sickness. She was transported to the city, had blood drawn, and preliminary studies demonstrate that she may be HIV positive and maybe be suffering from sequelae of AIDS. She will be sent back to the city tomorrow for further testing, and if preliminary tests are confirmed, she will remain there for treatment. I learned that most believe that there is a 20% rate of HIV positivity in Guinea, quite low when compared to eastern and central Africa, but significant, just the same. Pray for this women and the thousands of others who suffer the effects of this horrific disease. The church here in N'Zao is holding educational meetings about AIDS next weekend, and my friend Jairus will be teaching, and would appreciate your prayers. We received news today that a major workers' group has announced a working strike for tomorrow due to dissatisfaction with the government. Usually, because N'Zao is so remote from Conarky, the Clinic is rather unaffected, but there is a chance that some workers may choose to stay home if they feel it is too dangerous to travel. Fortunately, Mondays are non-operating days, and we may only be affected by several more no-shows than normal. It's just a reminder that political unrest is prevalent all over the world, but God remains in control. I learned today while at church, that the motto for Hope Clinic is " We Treat, God Heals ". This is just the simple summary of which I have been writing to many of you. I came across a book in Dr. Yaraduono's library entitled "The Hand on My Scalpel" written by Dr. David Thompson, a gentlemen who has served in Africa as a surgeon his entire career, spanning well over 30 yrs. I read it in a single sitting, and must relate to you that it is one of the best books I've ever come across. It is tragic, yet humorous, and an excellent portrayal of many of my own experiences over the last two weeks. I encourage you to get a hold of a copy, and enjoy. A visiting pastor from a nearby town spoke today from Luke 8 and described the story of Christ ordering the storm to calm, saving his disciples from certain peril. His point was to keep our eyes fixed on Jesus, which is the exact summary that my friend Jairus presented last week from Mt. 14. Both men emphasized that when life takes a turn for the worst, we must stay focused on our Lord, and not our own abilities. I shared with my wife, earlier this week, that while trying to repair Modey's femur fracture, we came to an impasse, discovering we could not get the two ends of the femur to align. Jon Erikson, one of the founders of Hope Clinic, had asked to scrub in with us that day, having taken a special liking to this boy. When I shared with the crew that day, that I was unsure of how to adjoin the ends of the femur, Jon quietly asked permission to pray. We all stopped, laid down the instruments, and bowed our heads as Jon prayed. He asked for wisdom, God's power, and healing for Modey. It was a simple prayer, but when completed, God had given me a thought to paralyze the patient who was under a spinal anesthetic only, in order for the muscles to relax. The medicine was given, and shortly thereafter, the two ends were realigned, and available for plating. After all was done, Jon credited me for my calmness, courage to take on a case outside of my training, and unwillingness to succumb to discouragement. I quietly shared with Jon that it was his willingness to stop and pray, to call upon the Mighty Creator and Great Physician that allowed us to help Modey that day. Do I think it is a coincidence that the only two sermons I have witnessed in Africa both emphasized fixing our eyes on Jesus? I know my own conclusion, and allow you to establish your own. The rest of today should allow for reading in preparation for next week's cases and some time to relax as well. I have great anticipation for what God has in store for us this week. Thank you all for your time and energy to stay in touch. God Bless, Jeff

12 comments:

  1. "when life takes a turn for the worst, we must stay focused on our Lord". Dude! I love that story from Luke! Amazing how we can hear a story so many times...but to then actually experience the power of its Truth! Nothing compares. Isn't God so...GOOD!!! Loving and praying for you brother :)
    -Jill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stories like Christ calming the wind and waves, feeding th 5,000, or healing the sick--have always been just that--really cool stories. When we are privileged to take part in a story, though maybe less fantastic, these other stories we have read about since we were kids, take on new meaning, and seem more real than they did at first glance. Thanks for taking time n a Sunday afternoon to blog and for your prayers. Love, Jeff

      Delete
  2. I forgot to mention that Dad and I had a sweet visit with your family in The Dalles. It was dinner at Spookys and off to the game where Connor did a super job and the team won.( always nice to win.:) It was good to hug the guys and skype with you. That does really seem a bit "out of this world" (skyping) though, wow.
    Jen served a gourmet breakfast, frittata, homemade bisquits with homemade strawberry jam, fresh pineapple and strawberries...yummy. We enjoyed playing games with Krae, listening to Caden's book reports and watching the guys wrestle, of course. We had beautiful sunshine on the way home.

    Today, Dad and I sang in the choir again...a few lyrics of the song..."More than we imagine, more than all we ask, our God is able to do, to Him be the glory, forever, and ever, to Him be the glory, Amen." Praying the Lord will guide you with wisdom and use your hands for His glory this week. Love you! Mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great lyrics with which to start a new week-- now we just need to add a few bongos, maracas, and some dancing in the aisles! I do love Jen's Sat am breakfast! Glad to hear you got your monthly quota of food from Spooky's as well. I'm shocked that you witnessed wrestling in our otherwise peaceful and serene home... Absolutely shocked... That win for Con and his teammates will be the impetus for them to stay the course, and work hard for next season as well. The sunshine on the drive home was your reward for enduring the craziness which is our home! Thanks for taking the time to visit Jen and the guys. Love ya both, Jeff

      Delete
  3. Great blogs, Jeff. Especially appreciated the account of pausing to pray for wisdom in joining the ends of Modey's femur. Bless you for being alert to the Spirit's giving you an idea for a solution! Keep cultivating that sensitivity of focused awareness that Christ is with you. We are praying for you. Looking forward to more good stories of your seeing God present and active, blessing His people to be a blessing to others. In His grace, ~Andy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Andy, Hope all is well with you and your wife. Thank you for addressing the issues of elders/leadership on Sunday. I know many have questions and many will benefit from what was communicated. Your prayers are greatly appreciated. My soul has known peace here unlike what I've been willing to experience in the past. The Lord has commanded the " wind and the waves" that batter my soul at times here, and worry and anxiety have not been allowed to gain a foothold. My prayers will be with you and the other men who meet tonight for RET. God bless, Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Good Buddy -

    Sorry about not staying in touch over the weekend but I am anit-email and cpu on weekends because I am on it all day at work. I have a crazy day today, so I won't have a lot of time to check up on you and make sure you are OK. This post here truly is amazing. Do you think God may be sending you some signals to "turn and face me, trust me, and I will show you the way" or what. Yee ha

    God is Good, he rocks, he is the Alpha and the Omega. And in my own language, He is "da Man...without a body". I am so excited for your experience there. I hope that Sunday was a true day of rest for you. You deserve it and need it.

    I can't wait to look for that book you mentioned, I hope I can find it. If you read it in a day it will only take me 3 weeks. That is awesome

    It looked like Saturday was a great experience for you at the market. That must have been a great time. How much dental floss did you go through getting the sand out of your teeth:)

    Have a great day today, I am sure you will be posting soon as it is about quiting time for you overthere. Viao Con Dios my friend.

    Ryan

    ReplyDelete
  6. Will probably post after dinner as the day was exhausting. No problem about totally blowing me off over the weekend, but I believe you have lost your title as "Blogger of the Year!". The book is awesome, you will not be disappointed, and it may only take two and a half weeks. I used a high powered water sprayer for my teeth and gums-- very refreshing-- but I still can't find my upper lip... Thx for the love! Have fun at RET tonight. Matty

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your upper lip should be located just below your nose. Sometimes a mirror can help you to find it. Look forward to reading your blog after dinner. RET should be good tonight, sounds like Andy talked more about leadership. Too bad we weren't there, would have been good to hear what Andy had to say.

    Ryan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good tip on the location of the upper lip and using a mirror-- was able to recover most of it from inside my left nostril... You may try getting a CD from Bob Petit of Sunday's service so you guys could watch it together. Jen said what Andy had to share was quite insightful. Enjoy RET, my friend. Gonna go sew my lip back on... Matty

      Delete
  8. Matty!
    It is great to get caught up on what is going on. I teared up a few times reading the updates. Our God is amazing! It is a reminder that God is always working...we need to join him in that work whatever it may be. I love the note about when the gentlemen asked to stop and pray..what an encouragement to stop and pause..it is then that we are able to hear God speaking. We can get into our routines and all becomes mundane but your blogs have also been a reminder to be alert, to ask, to be intentional, to love , to believe...I am sure God cont. to stretch you..I pray in the stretching that you become pliable ready to do and go and be all he wants you to be. I truly am encouraged in my own walk.
    So we have a new puppy...love her..it is just a new normal..we have not had a baby for awhile..a lot of my life for the next season is baby talk, cleaning up messes, disciplining..etc...
    I am training for a triathalon as well!
    Jake is applying for a job today. Ok take care!
    Jill Kamps

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jill, Thanks for perusing the blog! I heard about your puppy, glad to hear it has been fun for you. Wow! Jake working! Hard to believe the guys are old enough to find work... The triathlon training will be a good release from all of the dog training-- I wonder what will be easier? I'm convinced that we can learn about faith, peace, grace, and His power anywhere, but this trip has been an " in your face" crash course for me, quite necessary for most of us surgeons! Happy Valentines Day to you. Give Kamps a big smooch- cuz I certainly don't want to! Love ya guys, Matty

      Delete