Our family's heart is filled with the hope of our calling in Christ Jesus and we want to share! Our home town and now Hope Clinic is where we are called. We want to share our adventure with you!

Sunday, February 19, 2012

Grace Like Rain

Todd Agnew has always been one of my favorite artists, and tonight, as the dark clouds moved in, and the winds picked up speed, and the pouring rain finally fell, after two and a half months without rain, his song, "Grace Like Rain" came to mind. Dan and I were honored this evening by the Hope Staff with a wonderful meal and many kind words and thoughtful gifts. I have always done poorly when it comes to saying goodbye, but this was much easier knowing that my desire is to return and serve again here at Hope. I rounded for the last time this am, and am happy to report that all of the pts are doing quite well. Dan and I took the time to take pics with the pts this afternoon, which was fun for us, and equally fun for the pts. So many good pics to share, with a story to support each one. Church this am again was very enjoyable with the music and attitude of the folks who love God openly without embarrassment. A pastor from Togo shared from Acts 1 and Romans 8, and very enthusiastically urged everyone in attendance to decide to choose the Lord. I believe 4 or 5 people made commitments to Christ today. Lunch was wonderful, and then we spent the afternoon hiding from the heat and packing. Grace like rain... I have witnessed God's grace here in many ways. The staff was incredible gracious in their interactions with me despite my inability to speak French. All of the patients are provided with excellent care and loved equally despite their ethnicity, economic status, or disease process. God continues to provide medical supplies, medications, and supplies necessary to maintain the physical plant here at Hope, that are given by many generous donors and contributors. Lastly, people are bowing their knees to the King of Kings and surrendering their hearts to Him. Hallelujah, and all my shame is washed away..." We leave for Conakry at 6am tomorrow for the two day drive. My flight leaves at 11pm Tuesday evening(3pm in The Dalles), and I should arrive home, Lord willing, at 7:30 pm on Wed evening. My heart is for our pts here at Hope, however my soul longs to be reunited with my family and friends. Again, I'm unable to express my gratitude to all of you who have taken precious time to blog with me and uphold us here at Hope in your fervent prayers. I will never be the same man or physician who arrived here in N'Zao three weeks ago, and for that, I am grateful.

4 comments:

  1. "I will never be the same..." The change for each of your pts was huge -for some, life and death. God, in His efficient power touches each willing life with an optimal impact. As faithful servant the change in you, though likely subdued in the sight of many, will be just as great. You will remember this work for the Lord forever.
    fd

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just awoke, with an hour before we leave Hope, and my heart is filled with joy because of what God has done over the past three weeks, while allowing me to play a small part in his miraculous plan. Many things occurred that defied logic or scientific reasoning, which brought a smile to my face or allowed a small tear to escape. To leave here unchanged would have been to dishonor the Lord, but to depart transformed, only adds to His infinite glory. Even at my advancing age, with declining memory skills, this invaluable experience will remain within my soul. Thanks Fred, for your faithful prayers, Jeff

      Delete
  2. Rain at last! We had rain to and from Snowgoose and I wondered while driving through it if you had experienced the rain in Africa yet. I hope it didn't make your 17 hr. road trip a muddy mess. I read the book, "The Hand On My Scalpel" this weekend and the stories of his two trips to preach in the villages were pretty scary because of the rain.

    And...what are you talking about...advancing age and declining memory skills?? You are so young with an entire lifetime ahead of you yet. You make me laugh!:) Anyway, this blog will help you remember Africa for a very long time, so do not fear. Ha!

    Thanking the Lord your kidney stones passed and praying that your journey home will be pain free and peacefully safe. Love you, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. The rain was fast and furious, but done in 30 minutes, and no mud along the way because the earth was so dry from not having any rain for over two months. Just enough to get rid of the thick layer of dust overlying everything. Have had no more murmurings from the stones, and am pain free. Arrived in Conakry safely this am and will fly to Paris in 6 hrs. Looking forward to returning home. Hope all is well there. Love, Jeff

    ReplyDelete