Our family's heart is filled with the hope of our calling in Christ Jesus and we want to share! Our home town and now Hope Clinic is where we are called. We want to share our adventure with you!

Saturday, February 11, 2012

A Day to Unwind

For the first time in 5 days we were able to observe the sunrise and sunset as the dust slowly moves on. It was warmer here today, eventually up to 90 degrees, but remains very dry. The day began for me at 5:30am with the opportunity to Skype with my family, including my parents. Everyone looks well, and fortunately it sounds as though they have few plans for the weekend which should afford itself to much needed rest. I rounded with Jairus and Dr. Simeon at 8am and then Lori, Dan and I, along with two other ladies headed for N'Zerekore, the second largest city in Guinea. After clearing a single police roadblock we entered an extremely dusty city bustling with activity. There were more motorcycles than one could possibly number headed in very direction on either side of the road. The road is in poor condition with the loss of asphalt quite some time ago, and potholes that could pulverize the front axle of even a large truck. There are no traffic lights, no stop signs, and no street signs indicating any kind of order. As we entered the market area, we found a parking spot in front of a small shop and commenced with shopping. I learned early on to keep my mouth shut to avoid mouthfuls of dust, later learning that this is a very common manner by which to acquire parasitic infections. It was a blast walking from vendor to vendor, bartering the price of several souvenirs and food items. My friend Dan is an amazing shopper and I am fairly certain he could put some of you ladies to shame who consider yourselves to be professional shoppers! In fact, he would argue that he is not a shopper, but instead, a professional buyer! I found most of the shopowners to be polite and engaging, some of them quite proud of their ability to speak English. I even recognized four people in town who I had been involved with concerning visits to Hope for medical care. After 3 hrs of wandering the market, we grabbed some beef swarmas (sandwiches) and headed home for lunch. My afternoon was rather simple. I fully intended to read for pleasure, but awoke 90 minutes later feeling refreshed. We all showered and then headed back to the big town for dinner. We ate at an establishment that is well trusted and enjoyed a time of lively discussion-- in English! The food was rather good and on average we spent @5$ per entree. As dusk approached, we quickly headed home to avoid having to drive in the dark. The sides of the roads are littered with motorcycles without functioning taillights, some with a family of four aboard! Pedestrians are at the bottom of the totem pole when it comes to the culture of travel and know to step into the bushes when cars and trucks approach. All in all, a good day to experience the sights, food, culture and friendliness of Guinea. I anticipate another fantastic worship experience in N'Zao tomorrow, and may even find time for more rest as well. Thank you all for your kind words and willingness to give of your valuable time to encourage me and my family while we are apart. You cannot know how much it means to me. Jeff

8 comments:

  1. Wow, Jeff! Sounds like you're living the life...or a life...what an incredible chance to experience another culture. I will say, though, that when Barb Stone and I hit the thrift stores, we put Pat to shame...He may think he is a good hunter, but Barb and I are PRIZE hunters when it comes to bargains. The "shopping" is one of the best parts of your day I enjoyed hearing about. Thank you for sharing with us...Fred has told me I should be reading this daily...will try to do so now that I found out how cool it is to read!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading and blogging. This blog started out as a source of concern for me--I wasn't sure I could keep up with it, or do it correctly. It has morphed into an unofficial journal, an account of my entire experience here, and a method by which to communicate with many people that I respect and love. I thought I might get some responses from the ladies concerning the comments about shopping. Fred has been a great source of encouragement to me and is the unofficial superstar blogger from the Leadership Team! I'm glad you will be reading as well, and I covet your prayers most of all. I have not been able to give Marilyn a hug for many weeks, so please give her one for me, and let her know I will return soon to do so myself. God bless, Jeff

      Delete
  2. What a fantastic day for you. However, with no traffic laws, signs, speed limits, and dust, shopping could be hazardous to your health! If Jen finds out you are bringing 4 bongo drums back to your boys, that could be hazardous to your health too! :) I bet you will never forget the sights, sounds, smells, and smiles of the day.
    Praying you get some more relaxation tomorrow and enjoy the worship with the people. Praying for you everyday and love you! Mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Secretly, the excitement of the new experiences tend to cause me to forget about the safety! Kind of like skydiving... No bongos unfortunately, just not enough space, but your idea is a good one, I must find something that produces a great amount of noise! Thanks for hanging with Jen and the guys again this weekend and for Skyping. That was fun for me. Time to get up here and prepare for the day. Praying for you both, Jeff

      Delete
  3. Reading...Psalm 147:3-5 "He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds. He determines the number of the stars and calls them each by name. Great is our Lord and mighty in power; His understanding has no limit." Mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a fantastic summary of what we have observed here at Hope this week! Thanks for these verses and the boost for my spirit! Jeff

      Delete
  4. Jeff its been so great to "be there" with you!!! Who knew you were such a great blogger!? You're stories have touched my heart and the picures even more! Praying for you and your time there. Looking forward to more adventures! Blessings brother! Anga

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to admit, initially the idea of the blog gave me heartburn, but God has provided the material for the blog and the time for me to put it in print. I'm glad it has been a blessing for you. Say HI to Chris and the boys for me. God bless, Jeff

      Delete