Our family's heart is filled with the hope of our calling in Christ Jesus and we want to share! Our home town and now Hope Clinic is where we are called. We want to share our adventure with you!

Friday, February 17, 2012

Scalpel down, Gloves off, The OR is Silent

It is hard to believe that three weeks of work here at Hope have been completed. All in all, 72 consults, 30 cases, and hundreds of interactions with patients and families, has now been drawn to a close. I felt a slight tug at my heart as I gathered up my belongings from the OR and walked back to my room. For those who prayed for us today in the OR, it was evident, as we were able to efficiently and safely negotiate through 6 cases. The only hiccup was a 3 hr period of time that I suffered from a kidney stone attack. I was able to drink 4 liters of fluid in between cases, and shortly after Jon prayed for my pain to be gone, the stone passed... It's nice to know I got something else from my father besides my ravishingly good looks! We have 12 surgery patients in the hospital over this weekend that are all doing well at this point. It will be good to have some time with them this weekend prior to my departure. Jairus led one of our pts to the Lord during his hernia operation today-- spinal anesthetics are amazing! It will also be sweet to have time to collect my thoughts prior to leaving Monday, catch up on lost sleep, and thank everyone here that has made my stay enjoyable. There were no times of loneliness here for me, as everyone wrapped their arms around me and made sure I was doing well. It will also take me a few days to contemplate my experiences here, and fully understand what God has done here at Hope. The OR crew expressed their gratitude to me for being willing to come and help them treat many sick folks. I will miss them dearly, and hope to be given the opportunity to serve again with them in the near future. Many of our pts are anxious about my departure, but I have assured them that Dr Yaraduono will care for them well, and that Jairus is not going anywhere, anytime soon. There is a small possibility that Dr. Yaraduono will arrive this weekend, which would smooth the transition process significantly. You might ask, "What miracles did you see today?" I can say that I observed a man turn his back on his Muslim upbringing and his beliefs, and surrender his heart to the Lord. After spending a few weeks at Hope, I understand there is nothing more dramatic or exciting than a lost soul being saved from certain death. Tonight is pizza night, and frankly, I could eat! Thank you all for your kind words, faithful prayers, and the love you demonstrated to my family during my absence. The blog will remain active for a few more days, until my return, but God's leading in my life and the strengthening of my soul will live on, for I cannot desire anything else but to be in service for the Lord. God bless, Jeff

8 comments:

  1. Oh, I'm so sorry to hear about the kidney stone attack. We know that that's like and your Dad will certainly just hurt hearing about it! Thankful it passed.
    Enjoy that pizza tonight and the weekend visiting with the patient's and staff. Remember as you say your goodbyes that even if you never return to Hope Clinic again, you will see many of those smiling faces again in heaven, because heaven is real. Take of picture of the man who accepted Jesus as his Savior so you don't foget his face. Rejoicing with you!
    We are leaving soon for Snowgoose until Monday, so this may be my last post on your blog, unless Jay lets us use his computer and I can remember my google password.:) I have loved hearing the stories of your trip, the people, Hope Clinic, but even better than that, I've enjoyed being able to see a little bit into your heart. "I have no greater joy than to know my children walk in the truth."
    I love you son, Mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Mom, thx for your prayers. I slept for nine hours without interruption, and have not felt this well rested since my departure. I am virtually pain free this am, just kinda feels like I got kicked by a horse in the flank, but the sharp pain is gone. I passed a small stone again this am and am hopeful that this will be it, at least until I return. I have many pics to remind me of diseases, healing pts., and souls that still need the Lord. It will be fun to organize them and review them with family and friends. Jay has been following the blog and I'm sure can hook ya up. I will continue to post as wifi remains available, and will write a summary blog upon my return home. I've told many people that I could write a book from what has occurred here in three short weeks, but realize that this blog has been better than a book, for it has been my thoughts and experiences that God has chosen for me to pen, all for his glory. I may take the time to read all of the blogs this weekend, just as a reminder of his love, grace, and power. Have a great time in Bend. Hug my nieces for me! Jeff

      Delete
  2. Blessings on your head for all of your hard work these three weeks. As you reflect on your experiences over the next days and weeks, the Lord will give you direction for the future.

    Your mother and I are proud of you for your obedience to the Lord in His calling. And, thanks for reminding all of us that we live in a hurting world and that each of us in our own say and place can help meet the suffering out there.

    Have a safe and timely trip home. I look forward to hearing more about your Guinean experiences the next time we get together. You have fought the good fight, finished this course, and passed the stone.

    Dad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm amazed how one small stone can remind one of the fragility of life and health, and frankly, what raw pain truly is! I am grateful for the pain-- I believe it motivated me to work more diligently and efficiently, and caused my focus to be sharper yesterday. I've always wanted to honor the Lord with the skills he allowed me to learn, but never in my wildest dreams, could I have imagined this particular experience. Everyday I go to work with an idea to remove an infected gallbladder or relieve an obstruction caused by a cancer, but I have forgotten that my patients have souls as well. Good surgical care is a "right" in the US, but here, it is a little piece of heaven for a people who scratch and claw for their next meal or medicines for their children. God knows just what each patient needs, whether physical, emotional, or spiritual healing, and for me to be a good physician, my eyes must be open to recognize those needs. My typical task oriented brain has been transformed into a mind that now emphasizes the patient as a complete being. It should make it quite fun to return home and institute this new approach on a day to day basis with all of those with whom I come in contact. It will be good to see you and Mom again and tell stories and view photos. Thanks for your faithful prayers. Jeff

      Delete
  3. So so proud to be your sister! It's been so cool to read of how God is using you and working in you. Selfishly I am going to really miss reading your blog every day. It has been encouraging in so many ways. It makes me teary to think of you suffering physical pain in a place where you have been treating so many others pain. Know we are praying for your physical healing and pain to subside quickly. We will also be praying nonstop as you journey home. I can only imagine your emotions as you leave a place you have come to love for so many reasons and look forward to all hugs and kisses from your family!!! What blessings!
    Praying
    Love you,
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Good pain tolerance" is a phrase I hear quite often. The Guineans have unparalleled pain tolerance, and the Lord gave me that same tolerance yesterday as we worked-- for I know I don't normally handle pain that well. I am overjoyed with the idea of returning home to my family-- I have missed them dearly! And yes, it may be hard to say goodbye to the staff here at Hope, but as Mom said, whether I get the opportunity to return here to serve, I will get a chance to do The Uterus Dance again in heaven! The blog will serve as a reminder to me that we need to be writing down what God is doing in our lives every day, for when we see it in print, we realize how great His power truly is. Thanks for your prayers and encouragement over the last three weeks. Hope to see you guys again soon. Jeff

      Delete
  4. Well done, bro. Travel well. Rest. Reflect. Looking forward to catching up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We will have to find a way to get together soon. Will be fun to reflect on similar experiences. Thanks for the love, Jeff

      Delete